Friday, February 11, 2011

The Sahara Pt: 2

Well, I've kept y'all waiting long enough.  I know it's so damn difficult to sleep at night when you're wondering the hell I'm doing.

It's ok, you don't have to be embarrassed.  I know I'm that important.

Alright, so I'm not quite sure where I left off, so I'll just pick up from the first morning at the hotel.  So, without further adue:

So we woke up.  Big news, right?  Anyway, we packed up our stuff and headed downstairs for a breakfast of coffee and bread.  Afterwards, we all piled back on the bus and headed into town to visit a sanctuary.  Now, the CLC (our center) has visited this place on many different occasions, however, this time was way different.  We were quickly greeted by the man in charge of keeping the place up and running.

Guess what, he invited us to tea.

This man, appointed by the king, invited us to tea and proceeded to give us a tour around the entire area.  Thus turning what was supposed to be a hour visit into a several hour, totally awesome tour.

Do I need to remind you how important I am?

Also, WE DRANK HIS TEA.
4reelz.

Things we saw:

-A beautiful room/tomb/place of prayer
-More beautiful rooms
-Qur'anic students
-A goat get slaughtered
-More beautiful rooms
-And the homes in which the people of Zagora live

Afterwards, we walked over to a pottery shop where I saw a man throw pottery better than anyone I've ever seen.  Seriously, mad props.

I even bought some pottery.

Do I need to remind you how important I am?

Then back to the hotel for lunch, and to move our stuff into 4, separate, but equal rooms.  The guys in one and the girls in the other three.

OFF TO THE SAHARA

After a two hour bus ride, we arrived at our camels.  Yes, camels.  Yes, I rode a camel.  Yes, it was awesome.  Yes, I named them.

I rode two:

The first day he was named, "Darlin'."  The second day, he was named "Augustus McCrae."

Anyway, so we hopped on and we rode into the desert.  After about two hours, we arrived at our camp.

We rode in around sundown, and made camp about a mile from where we thought the Kiowas had set up camp.  We wanted to surprise them, though they didn't seem worried considering they had fire going, and we could hear them yelling across the plains, though none of us were really sure what they were saying.  After setting up, Augustus and I rode off, leaving the others behind.  Augustus wanted to go alone, but I couldn't justify sitting around while we had the opportunity to ride.

Around nine we rode into their camp.  Augustus shot first injuring, what could only be assumed was a buffalo hunter who had fallen in with a group of renegades.  We were lucky.  They had spent the night drinking, so before long Augustus had killed the entirety of the group.  I just stood there, gun in hand, confused as to how we had got ourselves into such a position.

Oh wait.  That's Lonesome Dove, none of that actually happened.

We did ride into camp around sunset, but instead of being greeted with gunshots and battle cries, we were greeted with Moroccan Mint Tea, couscous, a campfire, and James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend," translated into Derija.

Not quite Lonesome Dove.
It was fantastic, and the stars were amazing.

The next day we jumped back on camels and rode back to town.  We showered, ate, and went to a city that I can't remember the name off.  We were given a brief tour of a Kasbah (where they filmed Gladiator, Babel, Kingdom of Heaven, and others), and shivered as we were told of the history of such a place.

Then dinner, shower, and bed.

The next day a 7 hour bus ride back to Marrakech.

Now, in a few hours I'm off to the beach town of Essaouira.

Lamborghini Dreams, Beach House Wishes.

B'slamma

Ps: Pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment